how to make character leave footprints in the sand

View previous topic View next topic Go down

how to make character leave footprints in the sand

Post  Scooter2 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Good evening,
I have a scene where I need to make my character leave footprints in the sand (not in extreme detail, but "stand off" distance. I have seen this done in movies and video games but I am not sure of the best way. I assume shape keys on the set are used for close ups. I think an image can be used for most of my stuff, but do not know how to make them show up after each step. I may wish to do the same with motorcycle tracks.
Any suggestions?
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: how to make character leave footprints in the sand

Post  billymcguffin on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Maybe dynamic paint will do what you are looking for?
billymcguffin

View user profile http://www.coleschultz.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:45 pm

billymcguffin wrote:Maybe dynamic paint will do what you are looking for?

I agree with dynamic paint.

Tutorial:
Yodaman921

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter2 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Good afternoon,
I checked into the dynamic paint and it is really neat. I wonder how it was done with images prior to that. I wonder if that is how the tire tracks are made on race car video games? I have one big problem with dynamic paint. I would have to update my version of Blender. I am currently 15 minutes into an hour long movie and am reluctant to update from 2.58. Everything works right now and updates in the past have caused a lot of problems, some of which take a while to discover the hard way.
I am able to do all of the work on any version I choose because I will be rendering the movie myself since one that long is very expensive (I think mine will be about $20,000 per render) and will justify making a 10 to 20 bank render farm. I got that cost from a render farm calculator based on my systems average render time. Anyone have experience with costs?

Do any of you recall experiences with update problems after 2.58 on animated characters? I had a lot of controller influences change and bones flipping over during animation. I may be interested in an update.

Also,
I found a neat tutorial from Philippe Roubal called Tracks Creator which is great for displaced prints.

Let me know what you know.
Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top