Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cloth simulation moving when should be static

2 posters

Go down

cloth simulation moving when should be static Empty cloth simulation moving when should be static

Post  Scooter2 Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Good evening,
I have a scene where the character throws a sheet off to jump out of bed. The simulation looks kind of like I want, but for some reason the cloth starts moving (like there is a fan near it) as soon as the simulation frame starts and the objects it collides with are static.
I used cloth simulation to make the sheet fit the character and bed and then (applied) the modifier to hold the sheets shape.
Then, I am running a new simulation with the character lying still 120 frames before grabbing the sheet to throw it of. That all works, but does anyone know why the cloth fluffs up and moves before the character does?
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

cloth simulation moving when should be static Empty Re: cloth simulation moving when should be static

Post  Radialronnie Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 pm

For starters, the second method is the way to go with simulations as you let the elements reach equilibrium before rolling the camera.
As for the "anticipated" movement, I'm not sure. Something similar happens in rigidbody movements in the realtime engine, and there it's the collision boundaries which are slightly bigger than the mesh.
Turning up collision quality settings might help [Got softbody collisions and cloth mixed up in my sleep deprived mind] as well as lowering the boundary threshold.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

cloth simulation moving when should be static Empty Re: cloth simulation moving when should be static

Post  Scooter2 Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I did some searching and found that I think that is what the preroll button is for. I have ran a few experiments and even with preroll it still comes to life when the simulation frame starts, but I need to clear the cach first because I did get it to work on a simple cube and sheet. If I cant get preroll to work, I will start the simulation 50 frames or more before action.
I will let you know what I find.
Thanks,
Scooter

Well, I gave up on pre-roll and just start simulation early.

Last edited by Scooter2 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gave up on pre-roll)

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down