Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

problems making linked grouped character local for simulation

4 posters

Go down

problems making linked grouped character local for simulation Empty problems making linked grouped character local for simulation

Post  Scooter2 Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Good evening,
I think I am learning something the hard way. I have a movie scene where all of it uses linked grouped characters. That worked great until I needed to make a copy of the file and make one character local so it can be used for simulation.
I have found that using groups looks convieniant until trying to make it local. I have found no way to make the group local.
So, I tried to replace the original proxy in the scene with an appended version and use the action. That works, but for some reason, the action views the root bone 90 degrees off even though the axis points the same as the original proxy. That causes me to re-key all root bone action.
Anyone mess with this and have suggestions?
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

problems making linked grouped character local for simulation Empty Re: problems making linked grouped character local for simulation

Post  Radialronnie Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:53 am

This is one of those things that sadly I never quite understood. Transforms, and relationships as well as constraints act weird with mirroring, linking, and the like. I wish I could help.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

problems making linked grouped character local for simulation Empty Re: problems making linked grouped character local for simulation

Post  Scooter2 Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks for the reply.
I did alot of searching this week and found I am not alone on the topic of linked groups that need to be made local later. Unfortunatly, I think a will stop using groups for that (at the risk of forgetting an object) so I can have better control. There are many other benifits to not using groups because you cannot hide (to speed up playback) or turn off renderability of component objects in a linked group.
We will see how it goes.
Thanks,
Scooter

Solved the translation problem a little bit ago! When I originally brought in the linked character, I must have translated the armature as an object to my starting point. When I brought in the appended character to replace it and use its actions, I translated it in pose mode which made the root bone not see the translation.
So, I redid it all by translating the appended character armature in object mode and it works. Yea!

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:51 am

I'm definitely not at this level (rigging and animation)... all I read was, "blah, blah, blah, blah.... WORKS!" Lol!!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Strangebloke Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Ha ha. It's not just me then. No idea what all that was about. However if you want a good introduction to rigging and the terms this is good

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Strangebloke

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down