Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chaplain Coin

2 posters

Go down

Chaplain Coin Empty Chaplain Coin

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi all,
I was approached by two high ranking officers (Lt Col's) to make coins for them.  I had to turn down one because I previously accepted another.  Below is the workup to that coin I did agree to do.  This will hopefully be my last work-related project until after I teach those classes in August.

The Chaplain asked me if I could make a coin for him before he retired.  I sketched out his idea on a post-it note as he described his vision.  While it was still fresh in my mind I played around with some ideas on a white board and settled on what you see to the right.  He wanted to keep it to $4 a coin, so I know we were going to go light on colors or no colors at all and no fancy engravings.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I then sketched out a more refined idea in MyPaint:

Then into GIMP for a full mock-up.  I won't be doing a Blender version, since I can't spend too much time on this project. Each coin will be individually numbered, so in this case it's coin #87.

Edit: Improved version.  I erased the rough texture from some elements to make them pop more.  The material will be copper, just like a penny.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], on Flickr

Last edited by BnBGobo99 on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Chaplain Coin Empty Re: Chaplain Coin

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Nothing but thumbs up from me. The only thing that looks 'off' to me are the emblems on the flag side, the colors are darker making it seem like they pop out more from the surface than what they would on a real version. But other than that, it's a great looking design and nothing seems like it'll go horribly when getting it made.  Very Happy 
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Yodaman921 wrote:...nothing seems like it'll go horribly when getting it made.  Very Happy 

Oh Timmy, how you should have learned by now...

Laughing cheers That show was the best.
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Sun May 07, 2017 12:41 am

A three-year overdue update:

I never got to see the final coin, so I don't know how it came out. Sad

I was also asked to build his "shadow box", a (fairly recent) traditional gift given to folks when they retire.  It features their ribbons, medals, ranks, and other items of interest to them during their career.  I was given very specific guidance on what it should look like, below is the sketch I was provided:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And here is the Blender render:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The final product was huge, and instead of a smooth round case it was octagonal with sharp corners, so not what we intended, lol.
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down