Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1969 Chevy Camaro RS

+6
Xraygunner
finkgab
zyzzy
Strangebloke
Nixon
Dobi
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1969 Chevy Camaro RS - Page 2 Empty Re: 1969 Chevy Camaro RS

Post  BnBGobo99 Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:46 pm

finkgab wrote:perhaps a fellow newbie could lend you their computer for rendering...?
Good call, finkgab!  I upgraded my GPU not too long ago, so if you want to send a file to me each time you like I can render it up and send the images back to you.  (Just be prepped for a day turn-around due to mission).  My current render times are 1/20th that of my P4 render times to put a render-time-estimate on it.

Also, speaking of
grims wrote:hes one of the the best car modelers on here
Faxonblender got his start on BlenderNewbies and now he's up there with the premier Blender artists and his biggest growth came from the CGCookie Vehicle Modeling Series and doing his own car (a Toyota Corolla if I recall correctly).  You're doing a bang-up job with this one, I'm really excited to see what products you put together over the next few years.
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Thanks for the offer, Bunny! Smile I'll hit you up with a blend file once I get some bigger progress done.

Today I tried to replicate the hinges for the doors, but since I don't have any blueprints for them, I meessed up the geometry and ended up with a door that opened completely wrong.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maybe if I put them closer to the fender it will open properly which would mean that the problem is not with the hinges geometry, but rather with the geometry of the inner fender :/ Anyway, damned geometry! To hell with it... I'll do my best to fix it tomorow.

Radialronnie wrote:Girlschool?
You didn't think for a second that I'm watching dirty stuff while rendering, did ya? Razz j/k Girlschool IMO is the best all-female hard rock band. Here's the track that I was listening to while taking that screenshot the other day:

And here's a video of them playing on stage with Motorhead back in the 80s:

And since this a thread about a Camaro, I'll post some photos of what I got yesterday:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
It's a green 1:24 '69 Camaro scale model by Greenlight. It's a great piece!

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:20 pm

So, I experimented with various places for the rotation axis of the door and this one seems to be the best:

Tomorow I'm going to modify the hinge model so it can fit with that position of the axis.

Now, I'm not really sure where I messed up exactly, because at least on photos, it looks like IRL the axis ain't that far from the door frame, as it turned out on my model. Well, I didn't shoot for accuracy in the first place, so maybe I should close my eyes on this one. It's not like the door can't open freely up to 75-80 degrees (on the screenshot you can see it at 65), anyway, so why bother?

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Lol!! I know what you mean. You'll be your own worst critic. Move along... nothing to see here!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:38 pm

And so I modified the hinge...

...and althought it now looks like something that would start sagging very soon IRL...
...it is perfect for my not-really-accurate 3D model! As you can see, with those hinges, the doors open and close just like they do in real world cheers

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:14 pm

I think it's really neat that you are modeling the little details like this! I've been struggling the past month or so trying to make a similar price as your hinges, do you mind if I get a copy of your hinges to see how your topology method worked?
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:31 am

Oh, no not at all. Here's a blend file I made for you.

As you can see, it is nothing special. Since I am not going to be rendering the hinges from close distance and I am more using them for functionality than for looks, I made them really simple. Just some extruded plains and cylinders with thickness modifier on the plains. I spent more time trying to make them work, than trying to make them look good. Razz

Also, in this blend file, they are parented the same way they are on the car, so if you rotate the main cylinders on the Z axis, the hinges will open and close. Smile

Btw, here's what my PC has been doing for the last night:

Yes, that's a guest appearance of my old unfinished '70 Chevy Monte Carlo Very Happy

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for sharing the hinges, Dobi!  They look great... I hadn't considered using the solidify. Idea
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm

BnBGobo99 wrote:Thanks for sharing the hinges, Dobi!  They look great... I hadn't considered using the solidify. Idea
It's a really dumb idea IMO. You don't have that much freedom with solidify, because your maximum trickness setting on which it is going to look good, is limited by the distance of the edge loops around the corners! But hey, it works in my case Wink

Btw, I finished outlining a portion of the interior. I'm not carving any big details as of yet, but just trying to get the general forms of the objects inside the interior right. That's because getting the interior right is ALWAYS the second hardest thing in the whole car (the first being chassis and engine bay)! Basically, if I screw up and have to go back, I won't have to deal with any hard details I've modeled before.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On this screenshot you can also see how "fast" a dual-core Athlon 3800 is Laughing Not much faster than my single core Pentium 4. HAHAHA!!! Junk and rubbish! Only good for writing C# and SQL code on it (that's my office PC). Just a few days back I was thinking about getting an AMD machine for a new computer, because they are cheaper, but it seems that you get what you're paying for. That being said, it's all Intel and nVIDIA for me! I'll make sure to get an i7 and 680 or 780 GPU into my next computer.

EDIT:
Here's a little DOF render for ya'll.

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  Strangebloke Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:27 pm

THAT
LOOKS
GORGEOUS! Smile

Strangebloke

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:11 am

Thank you, man, I appreciate it Smile I'll make sure to bump the thread with more renders once I complete the modeling of the interior. Currently, the progress that I haven't shown to you is the seats and a mock-up of the dash, nothing serious.

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum