Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone use bMesh yet?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone use bMesh yet? Empty Anyone use bMesh yet?

Post  Radialronnie Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 pm

So yeah, I have not used bMesh yet, but I've read plenty of praise and advertisement about it, and yet I'm not convinced about how effective or useful it really is. If any of you have used it; has it helped you at all? How much, if at all, does it chance your workflow?

As I forsaw a long time ago, we now have people who try to create impossible things without having a solid understand of basic tri/quad geometry. Let's not mention those who try to export meshes with nGons to game engines without de-nGon-ing and triangulating...

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Anyone use bMesh yet? Empty Re: Anyone use bMesh yet?

Post  Dobi Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:36 pm

I have actually never thought about the implementation of bMesh into Blender. Now that you mentioned it, I decided to learn more about it. I found a certain video from a couple o' months ago to be very interesting and informing. Here's a link for anyone who doesn't know anything about bMesh:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So, throughout I didn't have time this night to check bmesh on my own, I watched the whole video very carefully and thought about my modeling style. You know, I'm sort of a slow (but very accurate) modeller and by learning bMesh, I could definetly speed up my modeling without ruining my precision. Actually, everyone can speed the modelling process by learning how to properly use bMesh.

I'm definetly among the people who find bMesh useful. It's just so obvious. So, once I find more time, I'm going to start learning how to use it properly, along with all the new tools. study

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Anyone use bMesh yet? Empty Bmesh fanatic in the making

Post  RobCole Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:12 pm

I'll admit, I've only recently dove head first into Blender, but I rapidly became a Bmesh lover.

Why? Because the easiest way I could find to build what I wanted was to use the binary modifier to punch complex shaped holes in a disc. That makes one ugly mesh though. Then I found the Remesh modifier. Yes, things are easier now. Now what if I use Border select to grab all those extra vertices and then press X and Dissolve them? Oh, they're gone and one big N-gon is left. Render time has dropped dramatically. Thanks Bmesh.

Of course, it can take some time to do this. But I can foresee a tool in the future to do this for us.

Rob
RobCole
RobCole

Back to top Go down

Post  PaperJon Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:51 am

I use Bmesh sometimes as it can definitely speed up workflow, I love the knife tool great for extruding complex N-gons. As Radialronnie mentioned there is a problem with exporting meshes with N-gons, though there is ways of fixing this with either using X to disolve or even quicker in edit mode you can select all faces, then use Ctrl+t to triangulate faces, then if you want quads (which I much prefer) after Ctrl+t press Alt+J. This will always give a great result with tris, when you turn those tris to quads you may end up with some left over tris, though that is hard to avoid when modelling anyway.

PaperJon

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Random info; some of the Blender Newbies oldtimers, myself included, have been brainwashed into a very strict quad-subdivision modeling workflow of which we are hopelessly proud of. Very Happy

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  PaperJon Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:27 pm

@Radialronnie Believe me I get that, I model everything pretty much everything starting with a cube and sticking with quads, I just sometimes play with Bmesh too Very Happy

PaperJon

Back to top Go down

Post  finkgab Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Radialronnie wrote:Random info; some of the Blender Newbies oldtimers, myself included, have been brainwashed into a very strict quad-subdivision modeling workflow of which we are hopelessly proud of. Very Happy

This is actually true hehe
When I switched to Maya though, I found myself with the possibility of using this dark feature (or very similar at least) and I pretty much avoided it cause I wasn't used to having n-gons on a model.
I was introduced to the feature by a teacher who can't live with out it and I eventually got pretty used to it and it's now an almost vital part of my modeling workflow. It's incredibly helpful for correcting topology on top of your model or to model from scratch.
But it's vital to know the importance of a clean, mostly-quad topology before abusing the tool
Good to know Blender has it now as well, another reason to re-learn blender.

finkgab

http://www.bufonstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:12 am

finkgab wrote:...another reason to re-learn blender.
The longer you're staying away, the more it will actually be a [relearning] experience. You last used Blender version 2.46 or so? The changes since then are really staggering. There's little that's exactly the same as it used to be.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  finkgab Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:34 am

Yeah, you are right :/
I was thinking about getting the 'Blender Inside Out' dvd, together with Venom's Lab (which looks awesome), but I have to learn 3ds Max now!

finkgab

http://www.bufonstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum