Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Importing materials

2 posters

Go down

Importing materials Empty Importing materials

Post  Antiphones Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 pm

I am new to Blender, but not new to 3D.

There are many sites where you can download blender materials and you get a .blend file. Some of these textures are complicated, like procedural wood or stone which includes bump maps etc... As far as I can tell all these are separate elements. I cannot see how to import them all in and get a complete material from the .blend file.

If I go to Append in the file menu I can see files in both the texture and material folders. However importing those does not give me the texture surface I see in the example image of the files I downloaded.

Is there a way to load in everything, the bump map, the node setup, etc.. etc... to get the complete complex material from a blend file?

Thanks for any help.

Antiphones

Back to top Go down

Importing materials Empty Re: Importing materials

Post  Scooter2 Mon May 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Good evening,
Regarding the maps, I wonder if you just need to tell the textures or nodes where to look for the images. I was able to append a material that used a node and the node came with it. I have only had trouble when I have moved stuff and they do not know where to look anymore.
Good luck.
Scooter

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiphones Tue May 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks for your reply. I found that if import both the nodes and the material they do seem to find each other. I have to relink these to the object though. I can't seem to import an object and have it remember its material even if they are in the same location.

Antiphones

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter2 Tue May 05, 2015 9:51 pm

Good evening,
I have a feeling that the re-linking need is due to how the file with you material library was originally set up. You may not be about to get around it.
Good luck.
Scooter

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down