Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julius de Waal’s SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE

4 posters

Go down

Julius de Waal’s SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE Empty Julius de Waal’s SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE

Post  Spartanis Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Julius de Waal’s
SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE

precision modelling from a set of blueprints that contains dimensions of each individual parts.

16 hours of  Modelling objects of each individual parts completed.

3 hours .. trying to figure out rigging of the pistons and flywheels and etc etc.. still no luck to get it right. *sighs*

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I shall persevere!!!!
Spartanis
Spartanis

Back to top Go down

Julius de Waal’s SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE Empty Re: Julius de Waal’s SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE

Post  BnBGobo99 Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Interesting! Do you have a project intended for this model, or are you building this engine for modelling and rigging practice?
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Julius de Waal’s SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE Empty Re: Julius de Waal’s SLIMLINE VERTICAL TWIN CYLINDER STEAM ENGINE

Post  Spartanis Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:20 pm

BnBGobo99 wrote:Interesting!  Do you have a project intended for this model, or are you building this engine for modelling and rigging practice?

For practice, of course. for the much bigger project.... many years later.. haha
Spartanis
Spartanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartanis Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 am

After few hours this morning tinkering with armature rigging and contraints.. i finally figured it out.

Now.. onto the piston B on the other side .. O.o
Spartanis
Spartanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:05 am

Nice! But for this kind of a project I would try a different concept for animation. Wink Here is something that I actually still haven't really tried by myself, but it looks really cool on video:

Basically, you could animate your engine without any rigging at all by using just the BGE. Smile

And believe it or not, but one of my summer projects is to make a real life model steam engine. I pretty much got half of my project already thought up and I ordered [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to help me with getting the valvetrain and piston right.

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartanis Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:56 am

Ahh yes.. Physics option of animation.. the downside of it.. is that it "jumps" about ..

I suppose i could tackle my Model in PHSYICS side later..
Spartanis
Spartanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartanis Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:55 am

Ecuse the lack of smooth animation.. my laptop cannot handle so much at once Razz
Spartanis
Spartanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartanis Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Spartanis
Spartanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:26 am

This is pretty nice work! Tight hard surface models like this are a lot of fun to model! I made that one spot lamp a few years ago, and rigging was definitely icing on the cake.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartanis Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:56 am

yeaps.. it was fun.. rigging got me a little confused but i managed.

now im stuck on "animating" it to repeat the rotations.

any ideas how to do this?

if i could, somehow.. i would upload my blendfile in here for anyone to see where i may have went wrong?
Spartanis
Spartanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:20 pm

If you want to upload a file, you can use something like [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Just paste the resulting share link here.

Depending on how you rigged this, it could be as simple as extending the curve sample that you've already created. Simple animate a full cycle (360° rotation on the flywheel thingy?), select your curve in the IPO window, and change the extrapolation type. This you do with Shift-E or 'T' apparently: I haven't animated anything since the -2.49 versions so I don't know exactly how you do it these days. I hope this was at least a little bit helpful.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down