Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective

2 posters

Go down

Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective Empty Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective

Post  Radialronnie Wed May 15, 2013 6:51 pm

When I first saw Oblivion a few weeks before it premiered, I was instantly captivated by the great visuals (concept art; I avoid trailers to save the story for the actual screening) and put it on my watch-list. When it came out, I went to watch it with a friend and to say that I was very much impressed by what I saw would be a bit of an understatement. Scene after scene was beautifully crafted with superb framing and lens work, say nothing of the actual material presented. While I admit the story wasn't particularly fresh or new, the overall experience was a joy for me and left me in a quiet, reflective state you might get lying around simply enjoying a sunset. In close harmony with the visuals was the [ran out of non-cheesy superlatives] soundtrack which really sold each emotion presented through the course of the film.

Summary, if you're OK with a soft story, do watch this for the art of it. I think you will enjoy it.

(Behind the Scenes-Mild spoilers)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you're short on time, I recommend the bit about the Sky Tower starting at 4:05.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective Empty Re: Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 pm

I watched Oblivion in 2D IMAX, and I agree with RR--it was visually stunning. The fact that so much that could have been CG'd was done "real-life" instead definitely showed. I liken the movie to Tron: Legacy, but outside during the day.

The IMAX version wasn't a side-cropped version of the theatrical release, it had additional footage above and below which made it immersive. Even though it was filmed in digital 4K, I believe, which is short of the 6~7K that IMAX film equates to, I didn't see any pixilation--so that's a plus for any folks concerned about that.
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective Empty Re: Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective

Post  BnBGobo99 Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm

This was a worthwhile watch for anybody who liked Oblivion's interface designs:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum