Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

displacement modifier texture moves when posing

2 posters

Go down

displacement modifier texture moves when posing Empty displacement modifier texture moves when posing

Post  Scooter2 Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Good evening,
I am trying to use a displacement modifier on an object that had an armature. The modifier produces the look I want and the texture moves with the object when the object is moved, but if I move the object in pose mode, I can tell the texture used in the modifier is remaining globally stationary and the displacement moves about on the object. Is there a way to make the texture move with the object in pose mode? I have experimented with the settings and cannot make it do that.
I do not want to apply it as shape, since that is permanent. Please let me know.
version 2.58
Thanks,
Scooter
edit: I just thought of something I have never messed with, Texture space. I found the texture space is not moving with the object in pose mode. Any knowlege on this would be appreciated.

Last edited by Scooter2 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : texture space is not moving with object in pose mode)

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

displacement modifier texture moves when posing Empty Re: displacement modifier texture moves when posing

Post  Radialronnie Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 pm

I was able to reproduce this effect and it is indeed like the texture is mapped to global coordinates as opposed to object space.
The solution for this problem is to UV map your mesh and then, as you would expect, set the displacement modifier to use UV mapping.
The displacement now no longer crawls over the surface of the mesh. Good luck!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

displacement modifier texture moves when posing Empty Re: displacement modifier texture moves when posing

Post  Scooter2 Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks for the reply,
I did that the other day, but it produces a risen edge at the seam. I have not figured out how to get rid of it, but I will keep trying. I will let you know if I figure it out.
I have found almost no information regarding texture space. I am very interested why the texture space moves with the object in object mode, but not pose mode. There must be a good reason?
Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:42 pm

Scooter2 wrote:I have found almost no information regarding texture space. I am very interested why the texture space moves with the object in object mode, but not pose mode. There must be a good reason?
I can't think of any. I was wondering that myself.
About the visible seam, make sure that your texture, if painted, has a large enough margin. I personally find eight pixels to a good minimum number. If not using painted textures, disregard.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Scooter2 Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks for the reply,
The seam is not related to the image texture, it looks like an edge that is extruded a bit where the seams are marked for the uv map and only does that when trying to use the displacement modifier. I have messed with it quite a bit and have not fixed it. I will keep trying.
Thanks,
Scooter

Scooter2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down