Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on Televisions to Buy

2 posters

Go down

Opinions on Televisions to Buy Empty Opinions on Televisions to Buy

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Hey all,

I know I haven't been around too much lately, and hopefully that will change. But for the time being I want to get some opinions on televisions since I'm thinking about getting one. So let me just give my current situation and if anyone has any thoughts for what I should get, I'm all ears.

So like I said I'm looking at buying a television to replace my old 15" that's over 6 years old. The new television needs to suit a couple of purposes. These purposes are: to watch television on (duh!), serve as a monitor for a dual screen set-up, and to play video games. The location of the television would be on my desk in my bedroom, so I'd like to try to get it as large as possible (more screen space for Blender) while still giving me functional desk space for homework. And as for a budget I'm trying to keep it in roughly the $200-$300 range if possible.

So if any of you have experiences with televisions, whether you had a brand that was really amazing, or one that was quite terrible; or even if you know of a specific model that might suit my needs, I'd like to hear it.
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Televisions to Buy Empty Re: Opinions on Televisions to Buy

Post  Xraygunner Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Not trying to be a "know-it-all", since I seem to chime in on these things... but here goes my 0.02

If games are part of what it's for, the obvious thing to look for is a nice quick refresh rate. At least that's the case in a regular computer monitor. From what I've read a 5ms response time or faster on a computer (LCD) screen is where you want to be and I've been told that 120 and 240 hz in a TV may not be compatible since they use a chip that actually creats frames and thus latency in a game situation.

If you do a lot of color work (corrections and all that) then you might want to see if you can find something that sports a better color range. The tv I bought for our living room can display an enormous color gamut, but I still have yet to put it to use. I primarily wanted to do that to see if I could get rid of some color banding on a huge PS image.

So, anyway those are some things to be aware of if you weren't already... as far as actual suggestions, I'll get back to you after doing some searching! Cool
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 am

I know it's been a while. I ended up getting this television: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752RB0I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Works great and I'm very pleased with it. Very Happy
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum