Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few tests

+2
zyzzy
Xraygunner
6 posters

Go down

A few tests Empty A few tests

Post  Xraygunner Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The first is a path and a nurbs curve animation. Cool possibilities with this!

The second is a simulation using the molecular addon. I didn't get the "sticky" part right with the sand (I wanted it to clump more), but will do for now.

Eeeeh! After looking them over from the links... sorry about the poor quality. That's what I get for trying to save on bandwidth!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

A few tests Empty Re: A few tests

Post  zyzzy Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm

that's neat.

I had seen the "vine growing" type thing before, but have never tried it... but the sand was new to me.

Is that particles, or is it a separate something or other?
zyzzy
zyzzy
Admin

https://blenderworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Fri May 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Gah! That's going to be a pain to sweep up. Wink

Nifty tests, XRay. Smile If you get the time, I'd like to see your studio setup--I remember the thread on BNewbies where you were building it, but I don't think we've ever seen the final setup! Plus, now that you've had a couple of seasons to settle in we can see how clean or messy you keep your studio. :p
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sat May 11, 2013 3:34 pm

I know these are really simple setups, but it was fun to do.

The sand on the steps was just an attempt to use the "molecular" addon in conjunction with particles. It adds a type of adhesion to the particles that give it a more realistic feel. I didn't really get it right, but went ahead with what I had.

The vines were from the realization that I could animate them. There are tons of tutorials on it, now that I've looked, but I really didn't know it when I was fooling around with it... just thought it was neat. I'm in the process of trying to create a basic scene for my next charcoal drawing. I've got a photograph, but there's just not enough detail in it for me. That leaves me with recreating in 3D and then output to charcoal! These vines will become a nice tree when I get the hang of the workflow.

I'll get on the pics for the studio... I've just made an HDR panorama of part of the backyard that has the studio in it. I'll upload that when I can. First I have to clean this place up! Shocked
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Sat May 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Wow, the sand scene is pretty cool. It'd be neat if you managed to get the right settings and then put the simulation into an hourglass.
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sat May 11, 2013 9:34 pm

I did think about that one, and it'd still be fun... I just figured the sand wouldn't be too wet in there.... although I didn't get the settings right for that anyway! Sad

Oh, btw, that was 128k particles which isn't much by todays standards, but it slowed me down a bit!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 pm

So I decided late yesterday to start an hourglass sim. To start it off I was filling the glass with 500k particles. So later today (a full 24 hrs later) I decided to abort. I need my computer for other stuff this week and it was looking like it could take another 48 hrs to finish the 250 frames. Sad I'll have another go at it another time. I'm sure there are things that can be done to make it work faster. Does anyone know if there is a way to off load a sim to the GPU?
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Mon May 13, 2013 6:24 pm

FWIW, here's a few stats. It seems that SLI actually inhibits render times. I thought I would test it out and indeed this is the case. Pretty close to 6 seconds worth per image. Doesn't sound like much until you start adding up those frames!

Without SLI

With

Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:14 pm

As requested!  Still in a bit of chaos, but it's working.

Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:41 am

Very nice renders! I love how much detail.... Wink Nevertheless, this is entirely cool and everything looks really well done. You did this without professional work, correct?
Curious; do the temperatures stay within pretty normal ranges in this?
-------
For a second there, I thought you had a mini greenscreen hanging on your wall there.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:45 pm

The temps do ok, I suppose. I've been heating in the winter with a couple of electric space heaters (too expensive), but am leaning toward a better option, and have my little air conditioner for the summer. I do need to finish insulating the attic though. Once that's done it should hold temperature nicely.

The green on that window was exactly that. Some fabric for green screen is what it was originally used for and now it does a pretty good job of keeping out some of that light heat! There's still much to be done, but at the moment it all serves a purpose.
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  zyzzy Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:59 pm

This is so awesome!

It seems a lot bigger inside than it does outside.
zyzzy
zyzzy
Admin

https://blenderworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I really feel terrible that I haven't used it to the degree that I would like to at this point. But, summer is coming to a close and kids will be back in school. It seems like summer really takes it out of the ol' free time!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Strangebloke Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Wow nice cave mate. I've been doing something similair, but I live on my own so it's the whole flat any way I want it Smile

BlenderGuru found a similair result when he upgraded to two GPUs. Not sure if he found a way round it or if it's down to Blender itself.

Strangebloke

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum