Various GIMP works

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Various GIMP works

Post  BnBGobo99 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Hello All,
I was practicing using the path and stroke-path tools in GIMP and decided to make a GIMP logo. The foundation for the image was the R-key on the OpenLogo's font (http://www.dafont.com/openlogos.font).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Click image for a larger size w/pinwheel background.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by BnBGobo99 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
BnBGobo99

View user profile http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Various GIMP works

Post  Radialronnie on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Nice! Makes me want to create some more path-based graphics again.

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:11 am

Created this; hope you don't mind me sharing.

Original firewall icon.

[mostly] vector recreation in PS.

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:08 pm

There is something abou the background that gives it an almost hand-painted feel, I like it. The little things, like the faint & fuzzy white reflection on the upper-left and lower-right portions of the shield graphic, make nice additions. Smile

A critique, if you don't mind though, is on the transition from light to dark on the metallic portion's left-side. The degree and suddenness of the transition draws the eye--can Photoshop's vector-style add a gradient on edges like that? In GIMP you'd have to make that edge a terminal for a blend-fill, rather than a path's edge (unless there is a way to stroke-path with gradient fall-offs on either side?)

Overall, I like it! Especially the inside edges and background!
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:20 pm

BnBGobo99 wrote:A critique, if you don't mind though, is on the transition from light to dark on the metallic portion's left-side. The degree and suddenness of the transition draws the eye--can Photoshop's vector-style add a gradient on edges like that? In GIMP you'd have to make that edge a terminal for a blend-fill, rather than a path's edge (unless there is a way to stroke-path with gradient fall-offs on either side?)
Yeah, you could feather the selection and the falloff wouldn't be perfectly hard as it is now.
I know the reflections are a bit weird (don't make sense actually) but I wasn't giving it much thought at the time; just recreating the logo as it was.

And the background; I didn't want it to be blank so I started dragging random images from my blender folder, adding a noise>>median filter to smooth it, and the layer on a few more similarly blurry images, each with some RGB curve manipulation to create some colors that complemented the logo. Around the actual logo, there's a ghosting of it created using a bit of zoom-blur and some rotation + a copy for a second one.

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Facebook header for wife's birthday

Post  BnBGobo99 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Hello all,
My wife's birthday is this week, so I thought it would be nice to make a birthday header for her facebook page. I asked for her permission to post this here, so no worries. I confirmed with her before I made this image for her facebook timeline that she doesn't mind folks knowing her age (although she didn't know the reason why I asked that question).

For the display mock-up after I finished the image, I used a PSD file on hongkiat.com. One thing this doesn't show is that on the dollar image there is a shadow that lines up where the facebook profile image is, so it gives a nice "integrated" effect like the facebook profile picture is floating above the dollar.

This is the original bill.

And this shows some of the details that I changed. There were a couple of other changes, but these are the main ones.

I tried to match the color as best I could. For example, on the black text I sampled the bills ink and found it was slightly blue; so I matched the black color of the new elements to that shade, then did some cloning of the texture and screened it over the new elements. I also duplicated layers and slightly blurred the under-side layer to make the ink have a "bleed" look.

The photo took several layers to get it to look as much like the bill's engraving style as much as possible. This included using the clone tool to make it look like the president walked out of the image leaving the background engraving in place, as well as cloning the paper's fabric and "cat hairs". One of the elements was using a black oval fill, then using the "erase every other line" filter, and erasing all of that except areas of shadow in the portrait.

She said she liked it, but I don't know, lol. Hope you guys get a kick out of it.

I also made this for one of our members who is moving to another base:

He's a big NY Yankee's fan, so I thought Babe Ruth's farewell picture would be neat. Blender was used to place the logo and build the Ambient Occlusion, shadow, and other passes. The rest was done in GIMP.

Last edited by BnBGobo99 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add a note about the shadows.)
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Wow, such great stuff here! The header bill looks like it got quite a bit of thought and work put into it! Very cool!
Hubbie Bunny. lol!

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Wow! Very nice!
Xraygunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Squadron Gear Ideas

Post  BnBGobo99 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 pm

All,

I've been tasked to come up with some ideas for Squadron-themed mugs, shirts, ect. Below are some logo ideas... let me know what you think! Smile

This will be best on a hat using a stitched patch or something like that.

Lawsuit magnet. Hand crafted the numbers from curves.

The gradient background won't be there, it's just to help separate the image elements.

The letters are a modified 'Z' from the font "Urban Hook-Upz".
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I made two more today before I call it quits:

BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

I really like the third Star, and the last one. The last one especially looks really professional; well done!

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Various GIMP works

Post  Strangebloke on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 pm

They're all good mate. I like the magnet best myself. The white star is good but perhaps it would be clearer if you made the 22 a single colour. Something bright that would stand out against the white star while still extending outside it.

But then what do I know about designing logos or art Smile If I could draw I wouldn't be trying to learn Blender.

Looking agin I really like the last one with the gradients inside too, that's very effective without cluttering it up.
Nice work sir, keep it up.

Strangebloke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm diggin' the first and the last. Good stuff!
Xraygunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zyzzy on Sun May 05, 2013 10:37 pm

This is all good stuff.

I'm completely useless at GIMP. while i was next to useless at PS i could occasionally accidentally make something, but now that i've gone full ubuntu i'm going to have to dive in to GIMP...do you have any suggestions for a good site to start learning?
zyzzy
Admin

View user profile http://blenderworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Big Z,

Sorry for leaving your question out to dry! Sad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was a very good guide.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was good too, very entertaining. This is more for Illustrator/Inkscape--but a lot of the information can transfer over to GIMP's path tools.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] makes a lot of good tutorial videos that are especially helpful.

Let us know how your GIMPing goes... er, how it goes using GIMP.
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 on Wed May 22, 2013 10:33 pm

O'Reilly is having a flash 50% off sale on their GIMP books:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm reading GIMP for Photographers now and so far it's pretty good, and I recommend The Artist's Guide to GIMP. The sale ends at 5pm Eastern on 23 May.
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum