Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Observation Deck - Away from Home

3 posters

Go down

Observation Deck - Away from Home Empty Observation Deck - Away from Home

Post  Radialronnie Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:58 pm

The sub-forum description didn't say anything about the work being 3D so here goes.
I've been working on this scene on and off for perhaps 3 months now. While I'm a complete failure when it comes to making scenes in Blender/3D, I can pull off a little magic in photoshop.
This scene is 100% 2D and was entirely created in photoshop. It's a combination of handpainting, vector drawing, and a bit of photo-manip (planet).
I stole the idea from someone else, but aside from the planet photo (cred. NASA), everything is my own work.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Stack; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A partial list of the layers involved;
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'll see if I can post a video breakdown later maybe.

Last edited by Radialronnie on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Observation Deck - Away from Home Empty Observation Deck - Away from Home

Post  Strangebloke Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Wow that's nice work mate. I'll let you off not doing it in Blender Smile

Strangebloke

Back to top Go down

Observation Deck - Away from Home Empty Re: Observation Deck - Away from Home

Post  Dobi Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:26 am

Hmmm, really nice. My favourite part is the space behind the planet - so beautiful. From what I see from your Photoshop layers, you used 2 different pics for the space. I'm interested in seeing how you handpainted them and made them work together that beautifuly.

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks, and you are correct. I found two amateur space photos on flickr* which were blended together. The bottom layer is simply set to 'normal' blend mode as it's the bottommost layer of everything. The "milky way"-like strip of stars was blended overtop with an additive Blend mode (likely 'Add' itself) which only adds the bright stars, but not the dark areas which would cover up the bottom layer otherwise.

* that was rather challenging as the photos were either low-res, grainy, or didn't have a lot of stars. Seems like the best search term is "starfield" which (when sorted by "interesting") returns some good results.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down