Superomniphobic Surfaces Survey

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Superomniphobic Surfaces Survey

Post  Yodaman921 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey guys, in school I'm currently working on a senior design project for superomniphobic surfaces (basically surfaces that repel all liquids including ketchup and mustard), and I need to get a survey filled out by 'potential customers'. So if anyone you have a minute to spare and could fill out this survey, that'd be great.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13fnBHWkDffBlpnTJG851NLnZKyTDMgJ5kMb9HPUkxH4/viewform?usp=send_form
Yodaman921

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Superomniphobic Surfaces Survey

Post  Dobi on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah, I submitted my answers to your survey.

I actually don't remember getting the carpets or furniture dirty, but I'm quite the slouch when it comes to preserving my clothes clean.

My latest staining happened when I was eating some cake with purple glaze on top of it. My handsfree ear plugs were dangling from around my neck. So, I had to get something from across the table, so I naturally bent over to reach it. In the process of bending my earplugs dipped into the purple glaze without me realizing that. You can imagine what happened when I reclined back into my seat and my earplugs started touching one of my favorite shirts! Still, I realized what happened a whole few minutes later when I wanted to listen to some music from my phone and grabbed the earplugs with both hands so I can stuff 'em into my ears, but instead got my hands dirty with purple glaze and saw all the stains on my shirt. FAIL! No

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks for filling it out! The survey should be closing in another hour or so (my group has to take the data and transfer it over to our report/presentation).

It's really interesting though since our project is based off of the technology being developed by one of the professors at my school. And theoretically if your shirt was covered in the protective coating, the glaze should've come right off with nothing left behind.

The only thing that may make or break our project that we still need to figure out is the toxicity of the coating and if it would be harmful to put on clothing.
Yodaman921

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:04 pm

The toxicity is one thing. Another thing is if the technology is cheap enough to be massively used for simple everyday things like shirts and smartphone screens. I mean, even when I stain a clothing, I can always wash it with an off the shelf laundry powder that you can find in every shop for like a few bucks. Now imagine paying like 200 bux for a shirt, just because it is dipped in protective coating. It'll take ages and lots of stains just to make it pay off for it self. And if I don't want fingerprints on my phone's screen, I'll just buy a matte screen protector.

Also, what is the durability of that coating? Am I going to be able to wear my shirt for 2 years without having to re-coat it? What would be the side effects on the fabrics (you kind of mentioned that in your post)?

So, yeah, your project is very interesting, but there are still questions to be answered about if it is going to be worth it for the everyday consumer.

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top