Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Short movie with blender

+2
Radialronnie
Martulen
6 posters

Go down

Short movie with blender Empty Short movie with blender

Post  Martulen Thu May 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi!

For my first post, I wanted to share my first short movie with Blender! It's called "Generations".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please give me your thoughts so I can improve! Thanks!  Smile

Martulen

Back to top Go down

Short movie with blender Empty Re: Short movie with blender

Post  Radialronnie Thu May 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Martulen wrote:Hi!

For my first post, I wanted to share my first short movie with Blender! It's called "Generations".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Please give me your thoughts so I can improve! Thanks!  Smile

Welcome to our great forum! My name is, well you know what my nickname is, and I represent the welcoming committee which will be following me shortly. *sticks head behind curtain "guys?"*

This is beautiful! I like the simplistic visuals, and animation style.
Not only for a first short, but for the next few as well, this is solid work! Keep it up, and do share with us!

All things considered, the only bits that I would critique are technical errors. Namely the alpha weirdness on the young leaves starting at 0:12 or so. It looks like you have a low resolution alpha channel with an improper base color. Also the alpha blending issue around the edges of your foreground "ground" mesh when the snow comes at around 0:38. I'm guessing you prerendered the backdrop and composited the two together? Smart move, if so.

-We hope you enjoy your stay on the forum!

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu May 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi, Martulen!

I see you've posted this around the Blender Universe and have already gotten feedback on a few sites--I hope you'll consider sticking around with us, we're a smaller group but a bit friendlier I would say. Wink

Me thinks you are not new to Blender, so I give you great credit for developing your skills and making a completed short before posting your works to the world. (Not that there is anything wrong with the other way--but it's rare to see somebody pop onto the stage with an already developed skillset. It reminds me of Alex Roman when he published [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].)

Would you mind sharing up close shots of your characters? I realize they aren't meant to be seen up close, I just enjoy seeing the infinite methods of modeling and rigging characters. Smile

Also, what methods did you use to plan and execute this project? It seems that most 3D artists (myself included) find themselves never able to carry out a successful project. Either we take on too much or we burn out and move onto something new. How did you stick with it to the end?

Good work--I hope the tree survives, but the new and energetic seem to uproot the old more often than not (in this case literally). I also hope to see more of you around soon!
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi Sat May 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Wow, bro, that was deep.  Smile 

Welcome!

Dobi

Back to top Go down

Post  Martulen Sun May 18, 2014 10:29 am

Thank you so much for your answers!  Smile 

Radialronnie : you're right, I composited the different layers (characters, foreground, background) separately to gain render time, except for the first sequence (due to its movement).

BnBGobo99 : I really appreciate the Blender community, they give usefull advice and help to go on! I have been learning Blender for years on different websites and forums, did a lot of tutorials and tests but I never put it online because it had no story. This project took me several months (with a lot of discouragement periods).

It was difficult to choose an artistic direction and stick to it, and I had many technicals problems. At the end, I knew it was not perfect but I choose to publish it anyway because otherwise, it would have taken me another 6 months or more to change things (like restart the characters' modeling for a more detailed version for close up, edit the music...). I wanted to move on and begin other projects, so here I am!

Martulen

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Wow, kudos! I can absolutely admire the direction to go forward, instead of putting it in park or worse... reverse! Like BnBGobo99 said there are "some" if not all of us at one time or another that seem to flounder around with things like this and not get anywhere. Consider yourself successful for what you've done!... and I'm sure it is going to pay off in the long run as you take what you've learned and apply it to future projects.
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Mon May 19, 2014 10:58 am

I must say, great job. You came up with quite a story that is very meaningful and at the same time managed to keep it simple. Simple, yet elegant (one of my favorite phrases).

Now I'm no expert with shorts or movies (otherwise I would've finished my own project years ago), but here's a few thoughts that crossed my mind while watching it.

• There seemed to be a lot of empty space around the tree. Would've been curious to see what the look/feel was if zoomed in a bit and the tree was in the left half of the screen and not center.
  • It'd be pretty neat if the transitions, instead of fading to and from black, were like leaves blowing by for fall or a gust of snow for the transition to winter. Not necessarily needed, just an interesting idea.
  • The name is 'Generations', but it's hard to tell if you mean it in terms of a person's life (kid -> adult -> elderly) or time eras (Roman -> Medieval -> Civil War -> 1920's -> now). Unless you were aiming to do both. Not sure how to clear that up though.

Again, great job. It was a very well done short, and my ideas above are just that, my thoughts. Take them as you will, but best of luck on your future endeavors.
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Martulen Sat May 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Thank you so much for your comments! It encourages me to improve and do more! I really appreciate it, thanks  Smile 

Martulen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down