Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"We won at Serenity"

2 posters

Go down

"We won at Serenity" Empty "We won at Serenity"

Post  Radialronnie Fri May 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Enlarge this image!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
~90 minute painting. Originally I wanted to paint horsemen coming out of the mist in a dark forest....
Started laying that down, but the heads felt like they wanted to be distant buildings about to be obliterated in a alien nuclear containment incident.

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

"We won at Serenity" Empty Re: "We won at Serenity"

Post  Xraygunner Fri May 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the title about? Is this the title of the piece or is it stating that you won a contest with it? Either way, I'm liking the painting although I'm wondering about the red bits over on the right.
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Fri May 09, 2014 7:42 pm

The post title is the image's title. It's one of those pretentious attempts at evoking an emotional response in an otherwise unimpressed audience. It's also a reference to the Battle of Serenity Valley in the Firefly series. Though the content is different, the scenario the image is supposed to portray is the same. Namely an utterly Pyrrhic victory where the friendly belligerents resort to sacrificing themselves to defeat the enemy. Thermonuclear weapon usage is implied.
The red bits on the  "burning log" are actually xenomechanical elements on an alien structure. I was worrying about interpretation, as I always do, but a friend advised to lay off that a bit since many people will fail to "correctly" interpret any given artwork anyway. So let my work be the seed to your own imagination and storytelling and let yourself go wild with the interpretation.

You remember this? Everyone thought that was a flame. It represented a person or similar entity in turmoil, distress, and hardship. Not only is it hard to portray that, it's impossible to portray that for everyone.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
All that said, I want to be careful to avoid being lazy about what I'm portraying. Somewhere between the two poles is that happy medium.

Last edited by Radialronnie on Sat May 10, 2014 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Fri May 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Ah, well said. Sounds good to me, and verifies my tendency to overthink things!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum