Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about boolean variable intersection tools.

2 posters

Go down

Question about boolean variable intersection tools. Empty Question about boolean variable intersection tools.

Post  Zachary1234 Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Greetings, all Blender 3D artists.

I simply need a clarification here.

I am doing a basic curving intersection test, where the cube object and the NURBS surface are my example.

I can add the boolean variable to the cube, but not the NURBS surface.

-What do I need to do to convert the NURBS surface so that I can do the boolean variable?

-What is the keyboard shortcut to bring up the little conversion menu, or where is the button to click?

-Can I use this to do curved intersections/substractions and not just straight line ones?

Zachary1234

Back to top Go down

Question about boolean variable intersection tools. Empty Re: Question about boolean variable intersection tools.

Post  Xraygunner Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:45 pm

In object mode select the "curve surface" or nurbs object. Now on the lower left hand side of the 3D view click "object" menu. All the way to the top you will see "convert to". The selection on bottom would be the one that you need to convert your curved surface to a polygon mesh in order to utilize the boolean operation. Alternatively you can press "alt + C" and that will get you there.

As far as your last question, could you make that a little more clear?
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Question about boolean variable intersection tools. Empty Re: Question about boolean variable intersection tools.

Post  Zachary1234 Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm only cooking up an arbitrary example. I want to do a curved removal, using a NURBS surface.

I keeping on getting "Modifier is Disabled" when I go to click apply.

I have added a boolean variable to my cube, and have used <<alt> + <c>> to convert

my nurbs surface to a mesh.

What do I need to fix here to get apply to operate?

Zachary1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 pm

First select the object that is supposed to be affected (trimmed) and add the boolean modifier to it. In the modifier box on the lower right side where it says object click on the cube. In the dropdown menu select the mesh that will do the trimming. Make sure that difference is selected under "operation". Once you apply this you can move the "trimmer" mesh to see the results.
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary1234 Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:11 am

-My operation might be discarding my cube parts.  If I have my nurbs as a mesh, it might be
closing with the nurbs/mesh surface, and not slicing my cube. How do I make the latter take place?

-How do I make it that when I click on the cube, I get the whole cube selected, and not just vertices?
How do I enable this object selection mode if it defaults away from it?

-I am getting a situation where a coincident slice is getting taken out of the cube, and not
what I'm after, being two irregular cube halves.  I should be using difference, right?

//In my attached file, I am sliding my "curved mesh" along the red X axis.

-How do I attach a file to my forum post here?

-Do I have to just positively construct this using parallelism, or can I have a bezier curved cutting surface?
check out my attached file.

?

Zachary1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 am

I'm afraid you'll have to find a third party to host the file... I'm not sure that you can directly do that through this forum. Get that part figured out and we can hash this thing out.

As far as the operator in general. You need to be in object mode to use it. I'm pretty sure it won't work in edit mode. Both objects need to be mesh objects, ie. no curved or nurbs surfaces.

In essence Difference = original object gets a chunk subtracted from the secondary. Union = Basically adds the secondary mesh to the first. Intersect = the area where the two objects meet is left.

Hope this helps.
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down