The fastest modelled hi-poly car I've ever done!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The fastest modelled hi-poly car I've ever done!

Post  Dobi on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Two weeks ago I spent a day tried to model a high poly 2004 Subaru Legacy. I ended up not finishing it because one day wasn't enough for a high poly car. So, yesterday I spent an hour or two just messing around and today I spent some time as well. If we add up the hours I spent on working on it, they probably sum at 2 days or something like. Anyway, no matter if 2 or 3 days, this is still my fastest hi-poly car model up to this day. Check it out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And btw, here's just me messing around with the fans in my new computer while rendering. This is a screenshot with all of the fans manually turned up to their maximum speed with the CPU fan going bonkers at over 6600RPM. I don't know how loud are your machines, but a passerby would think that my PC is prepearing for takeoff just by the sound of the CPU fan!  Laughing 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The fastest modelled hi-poly car I've ever done!

Post  Radialronnie on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:37 am

That's really one clean looking model! All the panel gaps are uniform, and there's no distortion or pinching that I can see. Great work!

These, and in fact, ALL Subarus are very common here in Colorado. I guess people like them for their all terrain capabilities.

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks, but there aren't any pinches because I'm not showing you any Wink
Here's one I did hide from your eyes by steering the front left tire in front of it on the render: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I did cut many corners to let this happen in just 2 days and one of them was the way I made the insets for the doors. You know, I modelled the lines for the doors and I extruded them in and then I extruded them out; and that was it! You can imagine what problems that method brings, especially when there are a couple of panel lines joining together and not just one. In my case I have the panel lines for the front door, the panel lines for the rear door and finally the ones for the sideskirt.

And not everything is uniform: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The taillights and the rear door are separate from the model of the body. That's because I needed more geometry in order to pull off some details. What I did was I applied the subsurf modifier to get the needed geometry and then I activated a new subsurf modifier with new settings for creasing just to keep things smooth in rendering. On the screenshot I provided, you can see why I needed that extra geometry for the taillights. That arrow-shaped inset thing that goes all the way through the taillight was just too hard to be made with just the polygons from the initial mesh.

And I like Subarus too, mostly for what you mentioned. Smile

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Unhurdof on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:49 am

Crazy. Nice work here Dobi. No matter how much time you spent on it in total, it looks like you spent more. Well done as always. Congrats on besting your own time.  Cool 
Unhurdof

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top