Far away betwean the rocky heights of Pirin...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Far away betwean the rocky heights of Pirin...

Post  Dobi on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:58 pm

...there is a place stuck in time. A small piece of living history. The smallest town on Earth. The photos you can see below were taken in the smallest city in Bulgaria with a declining population of under 350. This is Melnik, located close to the south border of Greece. Serving as a defensive frontier stronghold back in the 9th century, then being a flourishing city of late Renaissance in the 18th century and finally its decline in the begining of the 20th century, which leads us to modern days, when it is a living historical landmark. Below you can enjoy some of the photos, which my friends and coworkers took when we were on a teambuilding vacation last week.

More photos and info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melnik,_Bulgaria

Cheers!

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Far away betwean the rocky heights of Pirin...

Post  Radialronnie on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Pretty cool! I'm guessing it's a bit of a tourist attraction; judging from the hotel being there, and the people who don't look like locals.

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah, and not only. The town is also famous for its wine production. Almost every family in this town make their own wine. Wine from Melnik has been exported to many different countries since the Medieval ages. Even Winston Churchill bought 500 litres per year back in his time. Smile

Why I showed you those photos is because I think the place is inspirational. It has got all the old houses, unpaved trails, epic rock formations (including caves), remains from old guard walls and forts and that kind of stuff that make it perfect for an adventure or action game map.

Just to show you what I exactly mean, here's a beautiful summer photo, in which you can't see any cars, ATMs and people dressed in modern clothing:

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum