Post  Strangebloke on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:29 am

All right!

Let the rendering begin Smile

Strangebloke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help with new computer

Post  Radialronnie on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:41 pm

That's a pretty sharp build! I bet that's a TON of fun after what you used to use. I remember you complaining about performance all the time.  Smile 

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:24 am

Yes, but "Will it Blend?"  bounce 
Xraygunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:47 am

Xraygunner wrote:Yes, but "Will it Blend?"   bounce 

You bet it does! The little thing is so fast that Cycles renders that took one night to complete on the old PC, complete in less than 5 minutes on the new one! And I'm not experiencing any lags anymore.

There's just one problem with the build, actually. The CPU cooler manages to keep temperatures below 60C even when all of the 8 cores are working on their limits, but it is friggin' LOUD while it's doing so. It's like a jet plane about to take off! The problem is that the CPU fan is so small that it has to spin at over 4500 RPM in order to do its own job. I will have to change it for a cooling kit with a bigger fan that doesn't need to spin that fast. Maybe a Cooler Master 212 EVO or something along those lines.

Here's a pic of the temps and fan speeds at idle: http://screencloud.net/v/KfC
And here's another one at full load (CPU rendering): http://screencloud.net/v/r0wu
Now, if we take that at 90% load it spins at 4800RPM, then that would mean at full load it would spin at around 5300RPM. Note that this is percent of power load on the fan, not on CPU! When I'm playing games at maxed out settings, it actually goes louder than when I'm rendering, so I guess it does reach its maximum RPM.

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Finally got rid of the stock CPU cooler. Now the temp doesn't rise above 62C even while heavy CPU rendering, the RPMs don't go above 1600RPM and the noise... what is that, because somehow I forgot the meaning of the word 'noise'?  Wink 

CM Hyper 212 EVO... HELL YEAH, BABY!

Oh, and btw, installing aftermarket coolers without removing the mobo from the case is a pain in the butt! No matter how clean your cable management is.

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Well, it was quite the week. Here's what I did:
- moved the rig to the right side of my desk where the case "breaths" better;
- got myself the biggest monitor I could comfortably fit on my desk (Dell U2312HM);
- removed the lower drive bay for better air flow;
- got 5 Antec TrueQuiet 120 Blue LED fans;
- ordered some PWM Y-splitter cables from China (they are on their way to Bulgaria).

Pics:

Now, some temperature reports about how my cooling related mods worked (stock vs current state of the rig; in Celsius):
Stock:
-idle (mobo/CPU): 30/35;
-under full load (mobo/CPU): 35/70+;

Current:
-idle (mobo/CPU): 25/30;
-under full load (mobo/CPU): 28/56;

Measurements were made in ambient temperature of 20 degrees.

The fans also work great. The Antecs are really quiet EVEN while spinning at their max RPM. The 2 Cooler Master fans I currently have in my case are neat as well. Right now the only noise you can hear comming out of the case is the noise of the air flow. There isn't any buzzing, whining, cracking, humming or any other bad noise you usually hear from cheap fans - there's none of it! Just a subtle gentle howl of the air being moved in and out of the rig. I'm not really sure, but I actually think that right now the PC under full load is more quiet than the PC with stock cooling at idle.

What I'm going to do next is to make my 4th (and hopefully final) try in cable-managing this rig once my PWM Y-splitter cables arrive. Currently the cables inside the rig are quite the mess.

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Have you considered using your old monitor as a dual-monitor set-up? I started using two monitors about a year ago and it's great! Chrome/Firefox on one window--GIMP or Blender on the other. It makes looking up references and instructions so much easier. Also, Blender can break out the "User Preferences" dialog and change the window from preferences to 3D, UV, Nodes, etc... that speeds up things quite a bit too.
BnBGobo99

View user profile http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Wow, that's an improvement.
I think you're making everyone here jealous with your rig!  Wink 

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:06 am

BnBGobo99 wrote:Have you considered using your old monitor as a dual-monitor set-up?  I started using two monitors about a year ago and it's great!  Chrome/Firefox on one window--GIMP or Blender on the other.  It makes looking up references and instructions so much easier.  Also, Blender can break out the "User Preferences" dialog and change the window from preferences to 3D, UV, Nodes, etc... that speeds up things quite a bit too.
I tried that with Microsoft Visual Studio at my job when I still had access to dual monitors (back then I didn't have my own PC at the office and I was working on a laptop, they found a monitor for me but they still hadn't found a PC, so I worked with the monitor hooked up to the laptop). Really, dual screens rock, but currently my desk doesn't allow me to use 2 screens comfortably. I'd have to set the Dell to portrait mode in order to fit my old screen next to it. 23 inches in portrait mode would be really awesome for programming (think about all the code that could be viewed at once in 1920 pixels of height Wink), but it would be uncomfortable for everything else. And my old 17'' monitor just doesn't cut it, when compared to the Dell.

Radialronnie wrote:Wow, that's an improvement.
I think you're making everyone here jealous with your rig! Wink
Whew! Good thing none of you lives close to me Razz

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:45 am

Dobi wrote:
Whew! Good thing none of you lives close to me Razz
Hah, worried about armed robbery in the night?  Laughing 

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:51 pm

That thing is officially done!

This week I got a new set of keyboard, mouse and mousepad from ROCCAT.

ROCCAT Arvo

This one is advertised as "Compact Gaming Keyboard". And it really is! Now I have more space on my desk and the PC configuration also looks much better. My colleagues first laughed at my choice for a keyboard when they saw it. Mainly because of the way ROCCAT implemented the keys which are usually located between the numpad and the main keys - there's a button on the top-right corner of the keyboard which changes the mode of the numpad. By default, the numkeys 7,8,9,4,5,6 are used as Ins,Home,PgUp,Del,End,PgDnAnd and the lower numkeys are used as arrowkeys. The second mode for the numpad is to switch to the regular numpad functionality. To be honest, it was weird in the beginning, but I quickly got used to it and I don't miss the keys that were integrated into the numpad on this model (even when using Blender!!!). It's not the best keyboard for its money, but I really needed more space on my desk, so it was a reasonable choice for me. Biggest downside here is that the driver has some bugs with custom key binding. I successfully binded the 3 thumb buttons to Volume Down (1), Take screenshot with ScreenCloud (2) and Volume Up (3), but couldn't bind the num1 and num3 to anything without causing malfunctions.

ROCCAT Kova+

A very comfortable mouse with 4 DPI settings (400, 800, 1600 and 3200), 4 additional keys and great styling. It's very nicely build, no cheap/tacky feeling when you're holding it. It's also reasonably priced. Biggest downside is that the driver is very sluggish in changing mouse settings. Oh, and the top matte surface has to be cleaned regularly, because it gets spotty on the places where you're holding it.

ROCCAT Siru

The thinnest mousepad I've ever seen. It sticks to the table very nicely, so it doesn't move around (which my old cheap 3mm pad did) and it provides a good surface for the mouse.

Although this set has some flaws which I mentioned above (mostly bugs in the drivers), it is reasonably priced (I got the pad for free) and I like it. And let's not forget that it compliments my configuration's black/blue theme. Smile

And whew! I can finally start saving money for a car. I'm really glad and happy that I finished building this rig. It surely did eat a big portion of my budget (I could buy a half-decent compact car for the same amount of money, for crying out loud!), but the result is great. I hope this thread will be useful and helpful for anyone here that wants to build his own rig. Smile

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:56 pm

That has got to be one of the coolest keyboards I've ever seen! I just bought a new keyboard a month or so ago--had I seen yours I would have gotten that one instead.
BnBGobo99

View user profile http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm not sure if it is really sold (or easily found) there in the USA. ROCCAT is a German brand from what I know.

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dobi on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Dobi wrote:ROCCAT Siru

The thinnest mousepad I've ever seen. It sticks to the table very nicely, so it doesn't move around (which my old cheap 3mm pad did) and it provides a good surface for the mouse.
OK, that thing is officially dead. The glue, that kept it nicely stuck to the table, lost its strength over the course of the last 1 or 2 months. In the last few days, the front half of the pad (where I keep my wrist) swelled and the whole pad became hardly usable. So, its life was only as long as 6 months. Sad, it was a good pad while it worked. The good part is that I got it as a free gift when I bought the mouse, so no big deal.

The replacement? Well, I went to the local PC shop and the guy there showed me a pad which only costs 5 euro and has a 2 year warranty! Shocked

Natec Genesis M11 Robot Edition is the name of the pad. As for the brand, it is fairly new to the business, but they seem to have some good products. And actually, the bang for the buck is really strong with this one! You would think that for this price, the quality would be bad. Well, actually it is comparable to the Siru, when it comes to precision of mouse movement. And the Siru didn't have a warranty! The thickness is somewhere in the middle - it's not ultra thin, but it is not fat. Also, it is really comfortable to keep your wrist on it and if you move the mouse too aggressively, the pad won't slide around on your table. Another strong point of the M11 is that it doesn't rely on some sort of glue (like the Siru) to stick to the table. The rubber on the bottom of the pad has some sort of threading that helps to create grip with the surface of the table, while the textile on the top of the pad provides effortless movement of the mouse.

So, keep an eye out for those Natec Genesis guys and have one thing in mind when buying ultra thin mousepads (like the Siru).

Dobi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum