Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott's Idea Dump

+4
Radialronnie
Dobi
finkgab
Xraygunner
8 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scott's Idea Dump - Page 3 Empty Re: Scott's Idea Dump

Post  Yodaman921 Mon May 19, 2014 11:35 am

Alright, I figure this is due for some updates. Just a lot of general business type stuff.

First and foremost, I'm alive. I had heart surgery back at the beginning of the month. A week of hospital stay, and a week at home falling asleep a lot. But I'm now entering week 3 and I'm feeling a lot like my old self, so that means I can finally get around to stuff I wanted to do for the summer. Still 6 more weeks until full recovery, but that's not too bad.  Very Happy 

So for the summer, that's 3.5 months left to do basically whatever I want to (ignoring the obligatory applying to jobs since I graduate in December). So, here's my laundry list of stuff I want to try:
  • Work on my drawing. Nothing fancy/realistic, I enjoy a cartoony style, just want to work on that and digital coloring/shading.
  • Work on coloring/shading. At some point I'll probably do some low poly assets and try my hand at texturing them. Relying mainly on the texture for the detail.
  • Spriting. At some point I'd love to make a 2D game that just has sprites and no models.

So as you can probably tell, I want to focus this summer on more 2D/drawing type stuff. Mainly because after all of these years of doing Blender, that's been the weakest part of my skill set. (And I recently though of an interesting idea: changing 'Wandering Eyes' into a children's book instead of a short). I might come up with a plan to do one speed drawing a day or something to help. I'm still trying to come up with a good plan to implement what I want to do.

Like always, any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. Are welcomed!  Very Happy 
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Mon May 19, 2014 1:22 pm

Hey Scott, I'm sorry to hear about your surgery--but I'm glad everything came out alright.  Something about Blender must give folks health ailments--too many Blender users we know here and on BlenderUnderground have had heart surgeries/ailments over the past few years.  I'm glad everybody is doing well.

I think taking Wandering Eyes into a book form is a great idea and probably the better route.  Are you thinking of a media-rich iBook or something like that?

Regarding your other goals, I highly recommend you buy a few month's subscription to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  The price might sound steep, but here's why I recommend:
1. I've been using it for years so I can attest to the quality of the site and material hosted.
2. All the Blender books are there (Mastering Blender, Blender Foundations, Cycles Cookbooks, etc).
3. All the GIMP/Photoshop/Illustrator/Inkscape books are there.
4. There are a ton of engineering books (mechanical, chemical, material, etc) to keep your skills fresh and learn the more advanced stuff.
5. There are a lot more management, leadership, and job search/interview-related books which will help with getting the right job.
6. There is a good selection of drawing books for both hand-drawn paper/pen to digital, from beginner to advanced.

Good luck!
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks Mike,

The surgery was a necessary procedure for a valve issue I've had since birth. Had to get it fixed before it caused any permanent damage. I didn't get it sooner because it was never really a threat to my health before.

What do you mean with a media-rich iBook? My initial thoughts was to get it published as an ebook and probably get it on iBooks (and the android equivalent) for free, would have to look more into that. But also keep it formatted so that if I ever wanted a physical book, I could get it printed. Then, if it were to go over well where people like it, I might continue with writing books. Could even turn my Koala idea into a series. Razz

As for SafariBooks. I may have to look into that more. I already have a couple of drawing books, Blender books, and Unity books that I've bought over the past few months that I should probably make my way through first.
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Well this is finally done:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:45 pm

Cool scarf! So how do you enjoy knitting? Do plan on doing more of these and calling it a hobby, or is it just a one-off project?

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:56 pm

Radialronnie wrote:Cool scarf! So how do you enjoy knitting? Do plan on doing more of these and calling it a hobby, or is it just a one-off project?

So that's the second scarf that I've made, the first being the one based on the game Journey. I'm just going to throw it out there and 2 colored pattern scarves are a real pain to make. The total amount of hours it took me per scarf is right around 60 hours, so it's fine if you don't mind starting and then chipping away an hour a day for 2 months. I might start another one eventually, just depends on if I get a good idea for a scarf and have the time available.

I spent the last few days learning how to crochet. Since I want to try my hand at making stuffed animals/people. Things like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Since the plushes would be small so to make them would only take a couple of hours tops. Plus, it'd be neat to have some like Spider-man or Superman to keep on a shelf, or even make generic snowmen or animals to try and sell them (my mom participates at craft fairs every once and a while so I could sell them there).
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Do you still have access to that SEM at school?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

?

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Heh, I actually came across those while looking for patterns of things to make.

On a totally unrelated note. Here's my preliminary attempt at painting low poly models:

Things I still need to do:
~Adjust the eyes, maybe make them slightly smaller.
~Fix bowtie, current thoughts is that it's too bright, so maybe dim it down.
~More details:
      ~Add fingers and toes.
      ~Something to make fur less solid grey -> thoughts? Don't know if I should try a more fur type pattern with small strokes similar to how the stomach patch is separated from the body (might be hard to see in the picture I provided), or just to brighter and darker patches with a more painted feel.

Let me know if you have your own thoughts or ideas to improve it.

EDIT: Quick update before bed:
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Finished up a new crochet project yesterday. Squirtle from pokemon:
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:34 pm

I give you a cactuar from the game Final Fantasy:
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Radialronnie Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:47 pm

These last few posts didn't show up as unread...
I quite like the Squirtle. So this was what you had in mind when you said plush animals?
The low poly model is cool too. Maybe, instead of adding something like a fur overlay, you could just paint a few spirals, or squiggles to imply furriness.
[edit] like these: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Radialronnie on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Radialronnie

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Newest little project I finished up (it's a cat):

@Daniel: Yeah, I thought about trying different ways to imply fur (that's a really neat link you posted). Although I haven't touched that project since posting it.

I'm at a point where I don't really know what to do with my digital art at the moment. I know back at the beginning of the summer I said I wanted to focus on drawing/coloring/spriting to improve my skills, but I can't really think of any projects that would drive these things. Like if I'm working on something or practicing a technique, I do better if I have an end goal; like working on sprite making so that I can make assets for a game idea I have or work on low poly texturing for a low poly project. But at the moment I don't seem to have an ideas for any digital projects (which is a surprise since usually I have too many ideas).
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 am

That is the coolest thing, Scott...  I like the quirkiness of it--it looks like a cartoon cat!  Did you use a pattern or are you going off your imagination?

Side-note: Steven Covey of "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" has an exercise to help you focus your projects that might be helpful but takes a bit of time to complete:
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 am

BnBGobo99 wrote:That is the coolest thing, Scott...  I like the quirkiness of it--it looks like a cartoon cat!  Did you use a pattern or are you going off your imagination?

Ah, forgot to post the behind the scenes stuff. So I have this small notebook that I'll throw ideas into or sketches for ideas when I have them. So back when I started this project I was like: "I need to crochet a cat for my friend who loves cats" and then I drew up a sketch:

*note: I ended up changing the ear design and the collar pendant didn't look good*

So with crochet, I try to keep everything as basic shapes, mainly because I'm a beginner and simple shapes are the easiest. But once the sketch is complete I import it into Blender and make sure it's at a scale I want. Once it's in, I'm able to create an outline of the shape that I use to measure distances/circumferences/etc.

From these measurements I'm able to convert everything into stitches and thus create a pattern that results in a similar looking piece:

Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:12 pm

Fantastic! I think you are on to something here, Scott.
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Hey Scott, I was thinking about your process to make your crochet creations--I think that would make a great feature on BlenderNation.  Bart is always looking for great stuff, I would hit him up on Twitter with your workflow and see if he's interested in hosting it.  I can help you draft and host it if you don't have a Wordpress or other blog site.

Also--saw this and I thought it looked like something you might make:
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Hey Mike, that's a pretty interesting idea you have there and I'd be all for it. Personally though I'd wait until I do a new project that involves that workflow since then I can do better documentation as I go. My current project is a pillow and that requires no use of Blender (see image below) since it's just a sprite pattern from pokemon, and that project is halfway done; still need to make the other side. Once that's done I'll probably be making something that'll require Blender work and see what sort of write up I can do. I have a blog though for my crochet/knit projects (needlehook.tumblr.com)

Also, that's a pretty neat octopus in the video you posted.

Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Alright so after some unexpected delays due to health reasons, I finally managed to finish up my pillow.

Now I already know what I making next, however, since I'm moving back to college this coming week, I'm delaying that project for a while. Instead I'm hoping to take a break from yarn projects for a short while and jump back on the digital train. So expect my next post to be something either digitally 3d or 2d related.  Very Happy 
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 pm

I like the back and front effect. Smile

Hope everything is going well, health-wise--and good luck on the upcoming semester!
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Some random doodles and what not:

So at work at the 3D Lab, now that game I was working on is 'done' (it was sent to be used in the study, but won't be officially released until after the study takes place), I'm basically a consultant. That means I sit at a front desk answering questions as people stop by, which also means there's a lot of down time for doodling up stuff, so without further delay:

The pokemon bellsprout, more or less I wanted to get some practice with cycles:

We also do 3D printing, one service is the self-service 3D printing where students can use Cube 2 printers to print stuff, as long as they buy their own cartridge of material. Recently the lab acquired a Cube 3, so I had to do some tests. (I did not model what was printed, I found it online since I didn't have time to model it)

Cube 2 version:
Early in the print:

Halfway?

Finished! (I took the picture at a good angle, the other side of the helmet didn't turn out as well)

Cube 3 version:
Just starting:

Finished!

Pretty fun using 3d printers, I can't wait to get my Micro 3D Printer in January.
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Neat printer, Yodaman! About how big did the bust come out to and how much filament did it take? I looked up the Micro 3D printer--that's a good price. Have you seen anything that's been printed by it? All the pictures on the website are renders, so I'm curious how "smooth" the edges will be (since most 3D printers leave that step-effect). But for the price, that's just a bit more than a good home laser printer, so that's at a good price to get a lot of buyers and (hopefully) a lot of quality user-generated content!
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 pm

So the build volume is 5.5 inches cubed. So the helmet is probably around 2 inches. As for the amount of filament, not too much since the inside isn't solid, but sparse filled. From what I'm told a cartridge can print up to half a chess set.

As for the Micro here's a video of it printing something:

Apparently it can get down to 50 microns for a layer resolution. For comparison, the storm trooper helmet I printed on the Cube 2 was 200 micron resolution and on the Cube 3 was I think 70 micron resolution. Once I get it, I'm going to put it through some tests to see how good it really is though.
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:58 pm

Wow, that is a really smooth result!
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Few more updates.

Here's a little koala I'm making. All that's left is eyes, nose, and bowtie. I'm looking to be done by this coming weekend.

Also, the other day at work I was trying out a 3D scanner and ended up having a co-worker scan my head. This was the result, and no that looks nothing like my hair. It's not the cleanest result ever, but one of these days I'm going to use it as a base to make 3d version of me.
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:06 am

Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content