Blender World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bunnie Movie (Retirement Presentation)

3 posters

Go down

Bunnie Movie (Retirement Presentation) Empty Bunnie Movie (Retirement Presentation)

Post  BnBGobo99 Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm restarting my Bunnie Movie project I began before I deployed.  I'm 5-years and a few months out from my retirement date, and I'd like to go out with a bang.  I have a huge retirement ceremony planned--with a rented theater to show off this movie as it's big close.  There will be other parts shown on the screen to honor the Air Force, and then this video will show my future direction.

So, here is the original video presentation:

And a copy of the post on Nystic (the BlenderNewbies post doesn't exist anymore Sad ).
Hello all,

Above was the teaser to the project I'll be focusing on this year: "Bunnie". The spelling of "Bunnie" is a little bit different from "Bunny" only because that's how my nick-name is spelled, so no real secretive or interesting reason. "Bunnie" will be either motion captured with CG characters added, or it will be done entirely in CG, I haven't really decided.* However, the storyline is done, the characters are developed, locations identified, script is half-way done... so we are progressing well for this project considering that as of today, I have a week until 2011 actually begins, so seven days bonus!
[*Since the entire film takes place inside my house, and I have all of the needed items, it's possible for this to be done in live action with CG characters. I just don't know how to use those motion tracking programs that are out there!]  Razz

Bunnie" will be made entirely using Open Source software (although in the teaser video I admittedly used Windows 7 and Sony Vegas). Some of the software, like Blender's Video Editor and Inkscape I'll learn as I go. I'm looking for a more full featured video editor, so if you could recommend one, I'd very much appreciate it.

For the music, I may try my hand at scoring it. There are some open source music notation software available, although I haven't tried them. I also have a Roland digital piano (it actually looks and feels like a real piano, it's pretty cool), and I have a basic theme in mind that I'll try to expand on. If anybody is interested in taking a look at my music ideas, just let me know and I'll shoot you either a midi recording or sheet music (once I actually get it recorded, that is).

As for the Celtx file, I'll be replacing the version linked here and on the blog with more recent updates as I go, so be sure to check back for new information. I'll try to update the file as the movie progresses. I'll also update the blog twice a month or so, and big updates to this page maybe monthly (I don't want you guys to get sick of seeing it come up all time time).

Below are some concept sketches made in GIMP, the link to the Celtx script, and the link to the blog.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Concept Drawing of the Koala Character

Celtx Script: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Blog: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... 011-bunnie

Thank you for taking a look!

Methodology
I'll be using the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for this project.  Even though Agile was written for software development, it has uses in project management--and project management is, no kidding, my career.  I won't be beholden to Agile, it'll be adjusted and modified to suit the circumstances around this project.  Following any methodology without making changes to better suit your specific abilities, limitations or capacity is never a good idea.

The script was created and flushed out a few years ago, so now it's just transferring that to an animated product.  The first step was to drop all the placeholders into a video file.  This included scene information and dialog.

Next I added the mood music--music suitable for the mood of each scene, but not the final music.

One or two key images for each of the 21 scenes will be drawn and dropped in next, followed by dialog reading to get the timing down.

Once that is done I'll move on to hand-drawn keyframes.  This will better get the timing down and identify specific objects and such that will be modeled.

Rough modeling and animation will be next, then the models will be refined and dropped in.

The final dialog will be laid down, and detailed animation will be done.

Finally, engineering, rendering, and composting to finish it off.

The presentation date will be late March, 2019, but I'd like to get it done by 1 December, 2018 in case I want to retire a few months early.  That leaves me 5 years, 1 month and 25ish days.
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Bunnie Movie (Retirement Presentation) Empty Re: Bunnie Movie (Retirement Presentation)

Post  Xraygunner Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Awesome! I was wondering what had happened to this script. Looks like you know where you're headed.... really interested in seeing where this goes!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Bunnie Movie (Retirement Presentation) Empty Re: Bunnie Movie (Retirement Presentation)

Post  BnBGobo99 Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Today's progress report:

1. Using [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], an open source speak synthesizer that's small but effective, I created placeholder dialog and scene descriptions for all the shots.  Here's two samples: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

2. I used the following method to organize the cuts:  01_02_scene_03.wav, 14_05_littlefrog_02.wav.  For the first one, it shows that it's the first shot, the second scene description (or dialog) in the shot, and the third time a scene description was placed.  For the second one, it's the 14th shot, the fifth dialog of the shot, and the second time Little Frog has dialog in that shot.  This allowed me to quickly identify how many dialogs are in each scene, how many times each of the characters spoke, as well as organizing the scenes nicely together in the window explorer.

3. I was shooting for 10 minutes, but with the dialog added it's gone up to 23 minutes.  I'll have to find ways to "cut the fat" back down to 10 minutes but still tell the meat of the story I'm aiming for.

4. The "mood music" was lined up to the rest to give the atmosphere I was aiming for.

5. Here's a tie-down or storyboard version of one of early scenes (that I made way back in pre-Cycles days) [it's an animated .gif, so if it's not animating for you on the forums click [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].]

5. Below is the YouTube link to see how it's coming together so far.  Spoiler alert: it has all the dialog, so if you watch it there won't be any surprises left for the final version.  But sometimes the fun is in seeing the progress over time, so I uploaded it here for those that want to partake in that route.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
albino
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Yodaman921 Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:47 am

Hey! I'm glad to see this hasn't fallen into the land of the forever on hold projects. Very Happy I haven't had time to check out the dialog video yet, but once I get a chance I will.

So a little over 5 years left, think the project will go right up until the end? Also, I'm a bit curious, but have you figured out if the characters will have particle fur or more modeled fur? (I ask that since I always remembered particle hair/fur being an absolute pain).
Yodaman921
Yodaman921

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Hey Scott, good to see you!  If you do listen to the dialog video--skip the first 2 1/2 minutes, I think that's going to be the biggest part of the chopping block.  That and the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] <[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]> (I wrote the script in a marathon sitting one night, so it goes off on a mindless track once in a while). Wink 

Here's a render of the fur I did way back when:
Top: Brown Bunny, Little Bunny, Cow
Bottom: Koala, Little Frog, Large Frog, and Bunnie
(here's a close-up on three of them: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])
((oh, and fur growth: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

I'm thinking of doing particles... though I might consider doing a volumetric trick (will it work?  I have no idea... I don't even know what that would look like--just something I think might be doable and have a significant savings on processing during rendering).
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:49 pm

Update:

I've been drawing the first pass of my storyboards using a sketchpad during odd moments, like when I'm in my car in the morning and I don't feel like studying my languages, or at home while watching Wheel of Fortune with the wife.  I decided to make a storyboard template to make it easier and more organized.

Here's the link if anybody wants to take a look.
.xcf (GIMP): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
.pdf: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This will probably take another month or so to complete the sketches. I've storyboarded several pages already but I'm only about 1/8 of the way through the film. I'm only storyboarding main actions, not keyframing--that's much much further down the line and will be done mostly in Blender (some sequences may be hand-drawn keyframed just to ensure the desired action is captured properly.) I'll have to refine my storyboards after I'm done with my very rough ones I'm working on now.
BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:07 pm

So, here is my storyboard.  It clocked in at 22 minutes (sped up to 10 in the video) due to all the explanatory voice-over.  My goal for the length would be 10 minutes exactly.

The storyboard is less Disney and more Ridley Scott (who has been known to use stick-figures at times).  But it gets the main thought down at least.

My next step is to get an accurate timing by doing my own voice-overs.  Then I will record the scenes in the house--I've decided on live action with 3D characters mixed in, I've got all the tools: light probe, reflection ball, "Track-Match-Blend"... I'm all set!  Oh--and model, rig, texture, light, animate, and composite the characters.  At my current rate I'll be done in 2026!

BnBGobo99
BnBGobo99

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Good stuff... even in fast forward!
Xraygunner
Xraygunner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down