Walkin'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Walkin'

Post  zyzzy on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:41 pm

I've been devoting what little time i have to trying to learn a little character animation...so here is my first "real" try at walkcycles.

more specifically "Movements of the two legged figure" by Preston Blair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I used the EXCELLENT "Ciclos Town - 10 Male Characters" by SlykDrako available at Blendswap   ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ).  And it worked out perfectly, 10 characters, 10 different kinds of "walks".

And the music is by Kevin MacLeod at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] an awesome site for royalty free music under Creative Commons Licenses.

Some of the walk cycles I'm pretty proud of, some not so much.  Some of them I rushed a bit, but over all I'm fairly pleased all things considered.  Whether they're any good or not, they were a lot of fun to do.  I'm hoping to have time to try a few more different "excercises".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
zyzzy
Admin

View user profile http://blenderworld.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Walkin'

Post  Radialronnie on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Wow this is really nice work! Animation is something I would love to be good at, but I'm afraid to try again (and fail again).
I love the hand motions of the gent at 0:55!

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:04 pm

I couldn't help but smile while I watched that. Nice work!!
Xraygunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 pm

So... how much "free" time did this take, roughly?
Xraygunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zyzzy on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Thank you folks.

Thats a hard question. I've been working on it for months, but only an hour or so at a time, and then maybe once a week on average. I'd guess maybe 10-12 hours or so. Finding the Preston Blair reference sheet on walks helped me tremendously. And I'd say the first walk in the video, the regular walk, took me as long to do as the next 5 or so did., But it really started to click about the 2nd or 3rd one what i was doing. (and the first one is the worst IMO.)

I've also been working on making a new character using a David Ward tutorial on youtube, so that has taken up around half or so of my blending time.

I'm also a member at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where you can trade paperbacks with folks all over, and i've been able to find quite a few books on animation there that i'm in the process of reading. and there are quite a few websites that are helpful too.

It's going to be a long hard process, and i don't know that i'll ever actually "accomplish" anything, but it still SOOOO fun!
zyzzy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xraygunner on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:37 am

Well, looks like it's paying off in accomplishments so far! Way to go! Stick to it!!
Xraygunner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Strangebloke on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 pm

That's superb stuff. I laughed out loud at the Sneaking walk Smile

Strangebloke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Unhurdof on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Oh wow Zyzzy. I love this. I'm impressed. This looks like it was alot of fun. If you're interested in animation reference, you might check out the Animator's Survival Kit. Awesome read, and awesome reference. Anyways, great work here. Inspiring.  Smile 
Unhurdof

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zyzzy on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks Unhurdof!

i've got "The Animation Survival Kit" right here in front of me on my desk, and it is awesome.

I'm a member of paperbackswap.com and it is an awesome place to find rare and hard to find, (and easy to find stuff too) for not too many $'s

I've been able to get a BUNCH of animation, CG type books, and have a bunch more on my wishlist.

I just wish i had more time to devote to it....same old story.
zyzzy
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum