Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective

Post  Radialronnie on Wed May 15, 2013 6:51 pm

When I first saw Oblivion a few weeks before it premiered, I was instantly captivated by the great visuals (concept art; I avoid trailers to save the story for the actual screening) and put it on my watch-list. When it came out, I went to watch it with a friend and to say that I was very much impressed by what I saw would be a bit of an understatement. Scene after scene was beautifully crafted with superb framing and lens work, say nothing of the actual material presented. While I admit the story wasn't particularly fresh or new, the overall experience was a joy for me and left me in a quiet, reflective state you might get lying around simply enjoying a sunset. In close harmony with the visuals was the [ran out of non-cheesy superlatives] soundtrack which really sold each emotion presented through the course of the film.

Summary, if you're OK with a soft story, do watch this for the art of it. I think you will enjoy it.

(Behind the Scenes-Mild spoilers)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
If you're short on time, I recommend the bit about the Sky Tower starting at 4:05.

Radialronnie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oblivion (2013 film) Review from an artist's perspective

Post  BnBGobo99 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 pm

I watched Oblivion in 2D IMAX, and I agree with RR--it was visually stunning. The fact that so much that could have been CG'd was done "real-life" instead definitely showed. I liken the movie to Tron: Legacy, but outside during the day.

The IMAX version wasn't a side-cropped version of the theatrical release, it had additional footage above and below which made it immersive. Even though it was filmed in digital 4K, I believe, which is short of the 6~7K that IMAX film equates to, I didn't see any pixilation--so that's a plus for any folks concerned about that.
BnBGobo99

View user profile http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BnBGobo99 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:45 pm

This was a worthwhile watch for anybody who liked Oblivion's interface designs:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
BnBGobo99

View user profile http://studiogreenleaf.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content